Monday, January 26, 2009

Future Dreams

Amy and I were having a wonderful day, walking in the park. The evening had quietly crept into the late afternoon and the dark sky above told us that it was getting late and we probably needed to turn back to our car before it got too dark. We were just passing a physical fitness facility when Amy decided she needed to make a pit stop before we began our walk back to the parking lot to begin the long drive back home. I waited outside as she went into the facility to use their restrooms. I wandered ahead, staring up at the sky to count the stars. It was right about that time when I saw the brightest shooting star I had ever seen. It glowed a bright whitish yellow with a wide tail that seemed to permanently mar the sky with its searing glow. What made this shooting star even more intriguing was that unlike other shooting stars I had seen in the past, this one did not get smaller and did not fade out into the night. In fact, the more I watched it, the brighter and larger it got. Just in my peripheral, I catch a glimpse of another shooting star coming from the opposite direction, this one not so brilliant and simply left a long white, smoky tail behind it. When my eyes finally adjusted to the second star, I realized it was not a star at all but a jet fling across the night sky. It was then when I realized the first star was the same, but that one was actually on fire. At this point of realization, I notice that both "stars" were flying straight towards each other, eventually colliding into each other. My eyes blink in horror as my body freezes up in shock from what I could not believe I just saw. Everything around seems to have stopped in time and I just stand there not sure of what to do.

And then, snap! I come to. I feel the life returning to my legs and my mind releases itself from the awe-struck state was in. I see that the fireball that was once the two "stars" is no longer hovering in space and time above me but was now falling to the earth, on a direct path towards the fitness facility that Amy had gone into. I jump and begin running towards the building to warn her and get her out. I consider calling her but can't seem to locate my phone. The air feels warmer as the flaming fireballs gets bigger and bigger as it plummets towards the building. I estimate that I am about 200 feet away from the building, the fireball even further but falling at a much faster rate than I was running. I see the front doors and push my legs even harder to get inside to find Amy but before I can take another step, I feel my body go limp and I am thrown backwards, landing on the back of my neck. The breath is knocked out of me and I begin coughing. The Coughing stabs at my chest and each cough rings in my ears, barely drowning out the remaining sounds of the explosion that had pushed me to the ground. When I am finally able to get up on my feet and turn around, I see the remains of the building, a charred fiery skeleton of what it once was, no survivors in sight. A call out to Amy with the sinking feeling that I would not be hearing any response ever again.

I gasp and reach over to Amy who is lying next to me in our bed.. She later tells me
that when I woke from my sleep, I was breathing heavily and immediately placed my hand on her belly, reaching for our unborn child. She comforted me and reassured me it was just a dream and eventually I am able to calm down and go back to sleep.

I find it interesting that we dream. I know that we can never really truly explain why we dream what we do and why our brains decide to project different images in our heads as we sleep. But the one thing I have come to terms with is that no matter what I dream, I have to keep in mind that on the most part, our dreams are merely replaying things in our heads that we have been thinking about, memories of the past or simply something we were exposed to. The mind's eye is limitless and can see whatever it wants to see. But the part that I feel really strongly about, the part I will argue about to no end is my belief that for most of us, if not all of us living today, our mind is limited to what it already knows. What that means is that I don't believe that our dreams peek into the future.

I heard a co-worker speaking the other day about how she knew when she was pregnant, before she had her ultrasound and was told she was having a girl, she already knew she was having a girl because her baby girl spoke to her in a dream. Apparently, she had a dream where a little girl approached her and said to her, "Mommy, I am a girl." This was what told her that she was having a girl and that was why she was not surprised when the ultrasound tech revealed it to her. Now, based on my hypothesis, I guess technically, this is possible because even though she may not have been able to look at the child on her own her accord and know that she was a girl, her mind may have already known it deep inside her brain because her mind is connected to her, at the time, unborn child, thus possibly subcosciously already knew the gender. But based on this example, that does not support anyone outside of the mother being able to know what the child is going to be. Anyone outside of the mother is merely guessing and having a strong sense of confidence in their guess. But that is adifferent discussion altogether.

Getting back to dreams, though, I believe in the historical accounts of Joseph and his dreams telling him that he would one day be a leader and that many would bow down to him. I believe in the dreams that other prisoners in the jailcell that Joseph was in, telling them that one of them would be forgiven while the other would be killed. I even believe that the pharaoh at the time did indeed dream about the foretelling of a coming famine in which Joseph was able to translate and prepare them for well before it happened. But I don't believe that God talks to us that way anymore. I'm not saying that believe that God CAN'T speak to us this way but merely statng that I believe that he DOES NOT speak to us this way today. At the time of Joseph and the many others who God spok to in dreams or through visiting angels or burning bushes, there was no Word so that was what was needed in order for God to communicate with us. Today, the Bible is how God speaks to us so there is no need for dream speaking or future telling through our mind images. In fact, having stated this, I find it hard to believe that God would use this great communicating ability to merely tell us what gender our child would be or that we would be late for work next week because of a car accident. The events in the Bible where God spoke directly to humans to prepare them for the future were always phenominal events, big outcomes. It would just seem silly that he would go from telling the virgin Mary that she would be carrying the Son of God in her womb to merely making it easy for to know whether or not we should choose pink curtains or blue ones for our baby room.

But what about people who have declared that they have dreamt about big things? Huge premonitions? I don't know. I just don't see it. I am more willing to accept that
someone's mind just so happened to coincidentally insert your images into your head
that later resembled something that happened later than I am willing to believe that God spoke to that person to give him/her insight on something that was going to happen in the future. The reason for this is because all the accounts in the Bible where God spoke to someone in a dream, the dream made it possible for that person to make a difference in the future. Why would God merely give someone a sneak peek into the future realm merely for them to see it happen later on television in the news with no way of using that information to help affect the future? It would be a waste of time. Here's an example of what I am talking about.

In 2001, around August 20th or so, I had a dream that I was flying a plane. One of
those small cargo-type planes with just room for a few passengers. There was a guy on the plane holding a gun to my head and forcing me to fly the plane into a building. I remember not wanting to do it and eventually steering the plane into a mountain or something. I remember telling Amy about this in passing and didn't think much about it. About three weeks later, two planes crashed into the Twin Towers in New York, killing many and changing the way the Us of A thought about their safety here in the States from that point on. If I didn't feel strongly about my belief in dreams today do not predict the future, I would have been a nervous wreck thinking that God was telling me there was going to be an attack and I did nothing about it. But that isn't what I believe. In fact, I can guarantee you that there are probably a good handful of other people who may have had dreams loosely similar to the attacks prior to them happening. So what does that mean? It means that a group of people had dreams conjured up in their minds based on their own experiences whether in life or something they read or saw on TV or whatever, driven by anxiety, anxiousness or merely the mind just replaying information for the sake of doing so, but just so happens to resemble the events of 9/11. Mere coincidence and has nothing to do with being psychic or God talking to them about the future.

Now, with dreams, I do believe that you can affect the future by using your dreams but I am talking more about the fact that you can also affect the future by analyzing your past. You can see where you made mistakes or where you may need to rethink something or you just have been distracted from the truth because of all the other things you have to deal with in life. Dreams can be used as an avenue for your mind to replay things going on in your life right now and can put together little dramas directly connected to those existing feelings and thoughts. Your mind may be visually showing you that you are nervous for a test or that your relationship with a friend is on the rocks or that you are hungry. But it is all based on the events of now and events of the past. The dream may show images of possibilities for the future based on existing knowledge but I really do not believe our dreams will show us the TRUE future as it will be. I do not believe our minds will show us the inevitable.

So, what does this mean for us today? For me, at least, it means that I can keep
talking about my dreams and I can keep analyzing what they mean but I cannot use that information to set a unchangeable precedence for the future-yet-to-come. My dreams are not telling me the future and I am not ready to believe anyone else has that ability today. I can muse over other’s interpretations and see where a dream is telling something about themselves today but as for the future, it isn't yet written and, well, if anyone what the outcomes will be from the events of today, I just don't think it is any of us.

Okay, enough about this. I will lay this one down to rest. Sweet dreams, everyone.

4 comments:

Arato Girl said...

Hey sweetie, I love you. I think you and I both feel a strong rebellion in ourselves against anything that seems to threaten what we hold so dear to our hearts: our free will. Dreams are so mysterious, and the world of dreams is so vast and changing that if we tried to base our lives on them, we'd be acting like crazy people. Our choices are our own. Most of our circumstances can be greatly affected by the choices that we make. We can choose to tap into God's guidance or we can choose to ignore it, or even imagine it coming from an unreliable source. This ability to help "write our own story" (as L'Engle says) is a terrible and wonderful gift that God has given us, and I think the sooner we own up to it, the happier and more meaningful our lives will be.

Anonymous said...

I have never placed much stock in dreams. I always thought I was an oddball for that because everyone seemed to be so pumped about their dreams and what they meant, etc. I guess I'm not such an oddball, am I? I think I tend to dream about things that I either thought about prior to the dream or some really random thing that means nothing whatsoever. But then again, it is not often that I have dreams.

Anonymous said...

I like what Amy said. I love that we can 'write our own story'.

Sisterlisa said...

I have vivid dreams and when they stick in my mind and I can't shake them I pray about it. Most of the time I do believe God is telling me something, but never anything really prophetic. Yet they are messages of encouragement that I'm doing the right thing, and they line up with scripture, or I need to do something, which lines up with scripture.

I came across your blog today because I was searching for stories about shooting stars and I thought why not try searching for other people who are dreaming about them?

This last weekend I dreamed I saw shooting stars in the sky, many of them. I thought they were fascinating and pretty then all of a sudden they were coming right down on us and were crashing into apartment complexes and blowing them up.

They were black and an orangish lava like glow inside them. Then I woke up. Now I find news articles where 'fire balls' have been falling into our atmosphere. I don't think it's a prophetic dream, but I do find it odd that it had been happening and I didn't know it.